Friday, June 12, 2009

My Garden

This is one of my Sunflowers (not blooming yet), if you look closely you can see a little yellow and black bird sitting on what was a leaf.  It looks like a wild Finch but I am not sure. There seem to be 2 of them and they are eating up the leaves of the Sunflowers and as I recall from last year they eat the Sunflowers after they bloom. I really don't mind because I like to feed the birds but now the leaves look really ugly. I didn't know that birds like to eat leaves......I can understand eating the seeds. The only times we see these birds are if we plant Sunflowers.
This is the chandelier that I got at a yard sale a while back for $1.00. I have enough of them in my house so I just put it in the garden.....I like it there (or was I just too tired to refurbish it?).

This year we planted a few varieties of tomatoes, red, yellow and green peppers, cucumbers, yellow squash, summer squash, zucchini, eggplant, basil, cilantro, peas, green beans, onions, carrots and one sad little watermelon plant. It is a little garden but we tried to get as much in it as we could. I planted Marigolds all around the edge of the garden because I heard they help keep some of the bad bugs away. So far the only things we have harvested are peppers and squash. I am waiting for the tomatoes because they are my favorite.
This is a little pot of Impatiens on the patio...it did look nice at one time but Lexi likes to eat them so there are just a few left. We put up a wire garden fence a few days after we got Lexi because the garden would be gone by now if we didn't.....she loves to eat anything she can get her paws on.

7 comments:

DollZandThingZ said...

Your little yellow bird is a goldfinch and they are known for eating sunflower leaves! You probably have a pair that is feeding its young. We have them at our bird feeder since I didn't plant sunflowers this year. You can find info about this by going to any search engine.

Your garden is really beautiful. The chandelier looks great. I read your blog frequently but don't always sign blogs becuase I am always in a rush!

We live in New England and we have just started our gardens here. I am envious of yours!

Tristan Robin said...

I can't believe you're harvesting already! Here in New Haven, we're barely even through planting for the season.

Love your garden - and the chandelier looks terrific.

Wonderful post

Anonymous said...

Love the chandelier in the garden! ♥

Cheryl Carey Bass said...

everything looks so yummy! i think the chandelier in the garden was a fantastic addition!

Vintage Papers said...

love your garden! We won't see our plants that big here for at least another month! Happy Monday! :)

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

I love the chandelier in your garden!!! What a perfect touch!

Shell said...

Thanks for Stopping by my Blog! Your's is great! And of course we are insta-friends because we both have Goldens,,,,,,,I love my "Kodmeister" so much! But I have to say I love all my critters! And, then again everyone elses!!

Best to you and yours,
Shell